Wednesday, October 8, 2008

What will this country do?

I usually don't get too tied up in what the stock market is doing. I don't participate in the 401K at work. Neither does Kevin. We live check-to-check, and it seems that the poor folks don't get hit as hard (maybe as quickly?) as the better off folks. That may just be my perception. I don't know.

Anyway, fuel costs are coming down. I don't know who in their right mind would think that $2.77 per gallon is a good price, but it's beats $3.89, right? Anyway, it's still too much. I hear that it's tough to get credit. I can't afford to pay it back, so credit isn't an option, anyway.

We are hurting, financially. Yeah, so what? We have ALWAYS been hurting financially. I'm even thinking about taking a part-time job for a few months, just to keep treading water. That sucks, and I don't want to. However, you do what you have to do, in order to keep your family housed and fed.

The debates make me feel scared. The news makes me feel scared. The conversations with friends and customers make me scared. Just because I've heard my Grandma's stories about depression times, makes me scared.

What are you going to do? Just keep on keepin' on. That's all any of us can do. I can't shut down, curl into a ball, and suck my thumb until it goes away. I have to get up each morning, get my girls ready for school, then head to work. I have to do the best job that I can do, and then head home to take care of my people.

I thank God for parents who are nearby. I thank God for a good job. I thank God for a loving family. I thank God for free instruments, so my children can enjoy an extra-curricular activity. I thank God for a husband who keeps working tons of OT, even though he hurts daily. I thank God for my $500 car, which acts up some times, but has never failed to get me to work. I thank God for my mother instilling a thankful spirit into me.

I'm scared, but I'm dealing with it. Are you scared? Can you tell me how to deal with this nonsense?

3 comments:

Traci said...

I have gone through days where I was very scared. But I've been listening to Dave Ramsey for a long time. He's financial radio talk show. He says not to panic so I don't, most of the time. God says don't worry, so I let Him do it for me. It all sounds scary but I think we will be ok. Pray.

Anne said...

I am GREATLY concerned. No matter who wins this election this country is in a deep mess. Wall St is self imploding and greed abounds. I have always felt that people who care about their country should vote for what is best for the middle class. (I've been all the classes, but I think of myself as middle class) There is a health care crisis and an economy that is showing the tip of an iceberg on how deep this problem really is. People are having trouble feeding their families and families are mot buying clothes or the goods they once used to. The housing industry is in the tank. This bailout will affect all of us with higher taxes and less and less money to go around...less and less jobs too. Sounds depressing, doesn't it? Anne

Donna. W said...

I'm concerned more for you guys than for me and Cliff. At our ages, just waking up in the morning is good enough for me. We're headed toward the sunset anyhow, and we've had... and are having... a blast.