Thursday, October 16, 2008

Pumpkin Seeds

Lindie asked, in a comment, how I roast pumpkin seeds. There are many ways, but her comment was that the outside was so tough, she had to peel them. That's just how it is. They are to be eaten like sunflower seeds...you gotta peel them. Natalie doesn't, she eats the whole thing, but I pop them into my mouth, suck on them a bit, then spit out the shell, eating the seed inside. Sorry. I wish there was a better answer.

The roasting part is fun, though. I don't follow a recipe for meatloaf. I have the basics, and just add what I have. It's always good, but always different. Pumpkin seeds are the same. First, I soak them in salt water overnight. Then, when ready to roast, I coat them in olive oil, and season them with whatever I have. Onion salt, garlic powder, pepper, cayenne, whatever. Once, I tried some that had a sweet taste. They were good, but I don't know what was on them.

Anywho, coat them in olive oil, season them however you want, and pop them in a 250 degree oven for an hour, stirring them around a bit every 20 minutes or so. Sometimes, they take a bit longer, but look for golden brown. This batch took 1:10.

Lindie, I didn't solve your problem, but I answered your question. I hope it helps.

2 comments:

Traci said...

Mmmmm. Sounds good.

Anonymous said...

thanks. For some reason I thought the whole thing was supposed to be edible. I used smokey paprika, garlic salt and cayenne and did like you didon time and temp (after coating them in olive oil. I had just let them dry overnight, not soaking them. I thought that might be the answer.