Saturday, October 25, 2008

A date

Kevin and I went on a date last night.  Monica went to a friend's house to spend the night, and Natalie headed to Grandma's house.  It sounds like they both had/are having a ball.  We had a good time last night, too, although it was pretty darn cold out for me.  Just so you know, under 60 is pretty darn cold to me.

Kevin got off work before me, so he headed to KC and hung out in our break room, playing on the laptop while he waited for me to get off work.  At 5, as we were leaving, co-worker T (who had been pretty needy of my time all day) walked by and I said, "Hey!  You should buy me a beer after today!"  He agreed, so the three of us went to a place a block from work and visited for almost an hour.

Then, K and I headed out and went to Brett's dad's house to drop off a Birthday card for Brett.  Yes, my baby boy turned 20 yesterday!  I had called him earlier, but we needed to drop off his card and say it in person.  Unfortunately, he wasn't home.

From there, we stopped in Oak Grove for something to eat at a restaurant/bar that I've only been to once before.  I never go to bars anymore, so it was kind of fun to see the crowd, relaxing on a Friday evening, laughing loudly.  We each had a very good sandwich dinner, and headed home at a decent hour.

I used to want to go out all the time.  I loved dive-bars with pool tables and juke boxes.  You know the ones.  All of the small-town hangouts that didn't tend to get rowdy?  Just some constructions workers and locals, enjoying the end of a hard week of work.  Now?  I just can't justify spending the money.  I'd like it if we did more sometimes, but I really like to be home.  My idea of doing something fun away from home is watching Dad work in his shop, and maybe helping open gates or get tools for him.

Yeah, I'm getting old.  Also, when the weather turns cold, I'd just as soon not leave the warmth of my house.  When I get off work, in the colder months, I don't even want to stop at the store or the gas station.  Just get me home!

Anyway, at least my need for my home saves a lot of money!  Last night it got down into the upper 30's and my house (without the furnace on) only got down to 66.  We turned the furnace on this morning to get it up to 68, then turned it back off.  Yes, I think we can layer a bit and save some propane until it gets super-cold.

Wow, what a rambling post.  I hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

2 comments:

Traci said...

Sounds like a fun night! I never did get into little dive bars. I guess I'm in the minority there.

Amy said...

I like going anywhere if I get fed. LOL