Thursday, February 5, 2009

Holy Crap, Batman

What a night!  Now that we produce dog tags at work, I had one made of my beautiful granddaughter, and made two copies:  One for her dad, and one for her mom.  I was so excited that they got done a day early, that I nearly skipped out the door after work.  I stopped by her house to give her mom her "valentines gift."  She loved it.

I came home, still on cloud nine, to see that Brett wasn't here.  Odd.  Oh well.  I tried to call him, but got no answer.  I called his Dad's house, he hadn't been there.  I called his phone again, and left a message.  Around 7, he called me to say that his phone was dead enough that it barely powered up, and that he was stranded, out of gas.

*sigh*

I threw my 1 gallon gas can in Kevin's truck and headed out.  After a stop to fill said gas can, I went another 5 miles or so to where his truck died.  We dumped in the gas, and he jumped in to fire it up.  I was sitting in Kevin's truck, and saw him get back out and slam the door.  I'm surprised that it is still on the hinges.  The gas pedal had fallen to the floor and wouldn't come back up.

*sigh*

He looked under the hood while I called Kevin.  He told us a couple of things to look at, but everything checked out.  The return spring was intact, and nothing obvious was wrong.  Then, Brett laid in the floor board of the truck, shining a flashlight up, and then uttered words that I'm glad I didn't hear.  The cable had broken between the gas pedal and the dash.

*sigh*

I brought him home with me, wondering how long it would be before his truck was towed.  I mean, it was completely off the road, but it was at an intersection in Jackson county.  Yeah, it was destined to be towed.  We got home, where Kevin questioned Brett about driving when he was that low on fuel.  In his defense, he was looking for a job.  Still, you just can't take chances like that.

Anyway, Kevin thought about it for a bit, then had me call the saint-in-waiting (Jimmy John) down the road, to borrow a tow strap.  Jimmy insisted that he would get his trailer, pick up Kevin and Brett, and go get the truck.  Jimmy?  You are truly a saint.  It was 8:50 on a weeknight, and you're uprooting your plans to bail out my son.

Now, they're gone, and I'm sitting here wondering what's up. I hope it all goes well.  I hope Jimmy has room to get the trailer in front of the truck.  I guess, if they put it in neutral, it would roll backwards far enough to get the truck and trailer in front of it.  Tomorrow night, I have to pack for a convention trip, and leave town worrying.

That's what mothers do, right?  We worry.  I'm sure it will all be rainbows and unicorns when I get back.  It's just the wondering that gets to me.  I think it may be time for an adult beverage.  

7 comments:

Donna. W said...

Indeed, Jimmy is a saint. And he's married to a great friend of mine who often has made me laugh out loud.

I hope everything works out OK.

Celeste said...

I hope oit all turns out good. Have a beer

Happy Being Me said...

What a great friend and I'm sure everything will work out fine. Enjoy your trip and your beverage. Take care,
Katie

Pamela said...

I just HATE car problems! Hope you enjoyed a nice cold beer! Or...maybe some shots?? LOL

Traci said...

We had that happen to us while we were pulling three horses and a trailer. Oh the joys! I'm sorry Brett had that happen and glad Jimmy helped.

Lisa said...

Love the name of this entry! Hope everything works out with the truck.
Lisa

Happy Being Me said...

I had to reset my followers button to get your alerts - hate when that happens. Take care with hopes your enjoying your everyday!
Katie