Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Another driving lesson

Today's driving lesson involves distracted driving.  I won't even get into driving while talking on the cell phone.  I have to admit that I do that.  I usually use my bluetooth headset, but not always.  I am extra cautious with my eyes when I'm on the phone, because I'm aware of what can happen if you drive distracted.

What I'm talking about tonight are the bigger distractions.  Let's start with texting, shall we?  These butt heads who weave into and out of their lane, while trying to text, just aggravate the snot out of me.  You don't see the light change, you don't notice the brake lights in front of you, and you try to hide it in your lap, as if looking down doesn't clue us in to what's going on.  Good golly, just call the person.  I'd rather have you talking than texting, OK?

How about eating?  Sure, I munch on some fries from time to time, and you're welcome to do the same.  Maybe even a non-messy sandwich, if you can hold it in one hand and watch where you're going.  Eating out of a styrofoam container, with a fork, while merging into traffic, WITH YOUR KIDS IN THE CAR, is unacceptable to me.  Next time, opt for a biscuit.

Personal grooming?  That's another no-no.  If you don't have time at home to put on makeup, ladies, or give yourself a quick shave, men, then do it in the bathroom when you get to work, OK?  There is nothing more annoying than being stuck behind some brainless bimbo who's putting on mascara in the fast lane.

Finally, let's talk about reading while driving.  I have seen it all.  At least 3 times per week, I see someone perusing the newspaper while navigating the interstate.  WTH?  Don't you get a break or lunch time at work that would allow for reading?  This is just stupid!  And maps aren't any better.  Many folks don't have GPS, and rely on maps to find their destination.  That's fine, but pull over to read it, OK?  You're about to kill me and my co-commuters.

OK, I'm done.  Please watch the road while driving.  It sounds obvious, but so many of you aren't doing it so I feel it's my job to remind you.

4 comments:

Happy Being Me said...

Whatever happened to the good ol days when you could count on getting from one place to antoher without harm. Scary stuff now days and those that risk just don't seem to have a care in this world. Thanks for sharing this point! Take care and be safe,
Katie

Anne said...

You have some good valid points there. In Phoenix we always try to duck for the gunfire on the interstate. Oh the nerve! Anne

Amy said...

That is my peeve, too! I have called my nephew and chewed him out after he has texted me and I *know* he is driving.

Traci said...

Preach on, Sister! I watched a girl pass me doing about 85 while texting!