Saturday, December 13, 2008

Whiskey Wango Tango Jingle Bell Birthday Bash

After work yesterday, I met Kevin over in Blue Springs, where we stashed my car.  He had taken the girls to Mom's for the night, so we were all set for a night out.  I had won several pairs of tickets to this concert, and I was excited.

Let's be honest:  Although Joey and Rory, Carters Chord and Chuck Wicks promised to be good, we were here to see Pat Green.  The doors were to open at 5:45, and I think they finally opened at 6:50.  It was cold to be standing outside for an hour, but it could have been so much worse.  So many people were pissing and moaning that it was aggravating.   You didn't pay for the tickets (you have to win them for this concert) and you are welcome to leave.  Sheesh.

We met a real nice couple from Lees Summit, while standing in line:

Janet and Keith provided some nice conversation, and diversion from numb toes and a sloppy, muddy parking lot.  When we got inside, there was no place left to sit (I had expected as much) so we were wandering around, looking for a place to land.  Janet comes over and said that they found a table, and did we want to join them.  That was so sweet.

She even took this picture of me and Kevin for my journal.  Don't you like how fancy I dress for a night on the town?  HA!  A hoodie.  I was warm, though.  Because we were sitting in the back of a HUGE bar, I often had some interesting views.  It seems that the country is getting fatter and fatter (myself included) and many still haven't figured it out:  Just because they make your size...


Doesn't mean you have to wear it.  Seriously, I saw scenes like this all night.  The bar is so huge that they have a TON of security everywhere.  There was one guy sneaking a bottle out of his jacket to pour into his drink.  When security approached, he reached into his jacket and pulled out brass knuckles.  Classy.  He was out the back door before anyone could tell what was going on.  Heck, they even had security on top of one of the bars:


Except for that one incident, it was a laid-back crowd.  We listened to the local band, and the three listed above, and they were all pretty good.  Right before Pat was set to go on, I grabbed Kevin and asked if he wanted to get up close.  I learned from my BWF Michelle how to get up close, even when the floor is packed with people.

We wove our way through the edge of the crowd on the dance floor, moving up and over with every opportunity.  We were finally only about 4 people away from the stage, and right in front of the speakers.  Sure, I couldn't hear anything on the way home, but it was SO worth it.


Kevin and I have both always liked Pat Green.  He's so cool, and his songs are awesome.  It was such a great night.

We finally left around midnight, knowing that I had to work in the morning.  Kevin had free Diet Coke all night, for being a designated driver.  They put a non-drinker wrist band on him, and saved us a fortune on over-priced soda.  Since I had him to drive me home, I had some beers.

On the way home, we stopped at QuikTrip.  There is NO way to drive home in the wee hours of the morning, without stopping at QT.  Kevin needed a cappuccino, and I hadn't eaten since lunch, so I wanted a couple of egg rolls.  I heart QT egg rolls. At 12:30 in the morning.

It was a fabulous night, and when we got home, I knew that I would awaken this morning in rough shape.  I am NOT young enough to attend concerts and drink beer and stay up late.  Kevin woke me up and told me I needed to go to work, and I wanted to shoot him.  My eyes were all red and swollen, and a lot of coworkers got a laugh out of my misfortune.

Heck, I can't complain.  It was self-induced.  I'm just glad that I didn't get knee-walking drunk.  I can't imagine going to work with a full blown hangover.  Yuck.  And poor Kevin had to take me to Blue Springs to get my car, so even HE couldn't sleep in.

After work, I took a nap (3 hours) and now I'm feeling much better.  We grabbed a couple of redbox DVDs earlier, so later tonight, Kevin and I will laugh at some Jr. High humor while watching Step Brothers.  Natalie has already watched Kung Fu Panda 2 times, while I napped.

Sorry for the long post, but it was just so fun to finally get out on the town with Kevin.

6 comments:

Bookncoffee said...

Glad you all had a great time.
Sonya

Donna. W said...

How much do those hoodies cost? Cliff and I want to buy one for each of us!

Did you happen to see Phil's boy, Jeremy? I think that's where he works, tending bar.

Mel said...

Step Brothers turned out to be a pretty good movie! Really funny. I thought it was going to be stupid, but I was proved wrong. I hope you like it!

Amy said...

Kevin shaved?! hee hee... you guys look too cute! I haven't been out on a date with my husband in forever.

Anonymous said...

I have never been to Whiskey Tango. When I am in that town I always go to Nila's Pizza and Pub! She's my girl. But I have been curious about that place. It's nice that you had a "date" night.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!