Saturday, August 15, 2009

It's a tasty weekend

I had planned to relax this weekend. Actually, I plan to relax every weekend! I've been very successful at it this weekend, though. I also had some tasty produce from Mom that I had been thinking about. I woke up this morning with an idea.

We don't fry much of anything around here. However, once in a great while, we have fried potatoes. It's been months and months since we've done so, and I decided to make them this morning...with a twist.

I added to the big, cast iron skillet (passed down from my Grandma Wood) potatoes, butternut squash, onion, and bell pepper, all fresh from the garden. It just doesn't get any better than this:

It was awesome. The whole family decided that it was the best fried potatoes we've ever had. It could be because it's been so long, but it really was good.

After playing with Kameron, watching some TV, and just relaxing, I announced that it was time for my nap. I like to get a nap at least once every weekend, but it hasn't been happening the past several weeks. Boy oh boy, did it happen today. It was a great nap, too.

Brett woke me up so I could say good-bye to the baby when it was time for her to be returned to her Momma. They left and Kevin mentioned quesadillas. Kevin makes some AWESOME chicken quesadillas, so the girls and I were instantly "on board" with this plan.

First, he puts the seasoned, shredded chicken breast on the tortillas:

Then he adds some cheese. This time, we used mozzarella, since it's what we had. I like all cheese. I'm a fan of cheese. Please pass the cheese.

Finally, after a bit in the oven to let them get all melty and gooey on the inside, lightly crispy on the outside. Here is the result:

What? You say This whole entry sounds like a house full of lazy food-addicts? So? What's your point? This is the perfect Saturday, as far as I'm concerned. I wonder what we'll have for a late-night snack?


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Who doesn't love a good quesadilla?
You don't sound like lazy food addicts, more like gloriously Rubenesque figures.~Mary

kcmeesha said...

I make quesadillas on my cast iron skillet, it works when you only need a few and don't want to crank up the oven