Sunday, January 4, 2009

Fried potatoes

I have loved potatoes of all kinds my entire life.  Baked, fried, mashed or made into soup; it's all wonderful.  It's a root, growing in the dirt, for heaven's sake!  I know it's the new year, and we should all be watching what we eat, right?  Well, Sunday mornings in this house usually require a fattening breakfast.

This morning, I made fried potatoes and biscuits.  While frying up the wonderful spuds, I started thinking about my tools.  When I was a kid, the part of washing dishes that I hated the most was scrubbing pots and pans.  Then, suddenly it seems, non-stick cookware rushed onto the scene.

What wonderful stuff!  It was so much easier to clean up after dinner.  My grandma Wood is the first one I remember having the new cookware in my family, but I may be full of B.S.  (My memory sucks.)  I remember her saying, "DON'T USE METAL IN MY TEFLON PANS!"  You had to use plastic utensils.  No matter what, NO METAL.

Funny thing is, my favorite skillet to use for fried potatoes came from this same grandma.  And it's cast iron.  And it's huge.  And I love it.  As I was frying potatoes last weekend, I complained to Kevin that I missed metal spatulas.  You can't get the crispy bits off the bottom of the skillet with plastic, and the crispy bits are the best part!

While Natalie and I bummed around in Deals on Friday, I grabbed a metal spatula.  Viola!  Today's potatoes were the best I've had in a long time.  Crispy bits all mingling with the potatoes and bits of onion.  Mmmmmm.  Perfection on a plate.  Heart attack waiting to happen.

It may take a while longer to clean up, but my cast iron skillet and metal spatula are my best friends on a lazy, fattening Sunday morning.

11 comments:

Astaryth said...

Why is it that the yummy stuff is never good for us?? I also love fried potatoes and you just made me hungry for them. LOL!

Anonymous said...

if your cast iron skillet is properly seasoned it will clean up just as easy as non stick.

Lisa said...

OMG, any kind of potato is sinful !!!!!!, Hugs Lisa

Hollie said...

Potatoes are my BESTEST FRIEND! Love 'em any way you want to fix them.

Anonymous said...

Oh YUMMMMM... The last time I made fried potatoes was back over the summer when B's step-sister and friends were here. I've never seen 4 teenaged girls eat like that before!

I made 'em like my grandma did with bacon grease, plenty of salt and pepper and a big old onion.

As I recall, properly seasoning a cast iron skillet requires peanut (or other heavy oil) and a warm but not hot oven ~250 degrees. Admittedly, I haven't done it in years, but that's how my grandma did it and my grandma was the best EVER.

Rachel said...

Oh yes, Shell and Bentley, this skillet is very well seasoned. I'm rather obsessed by this old piece of iron.

Pamela said...

I love potatoes...and now I'm CRAVING them!
Your Sunday breakfast ritual is great! Your family is lucky!

Amy said...

Why, Rachel? Why do you torment me with your potato-ness and your crispy bits?

Happy Being Me said...

Oh how this brings back some wonderful memories. I loved the sausage gravy poured over biscuts and fried potatoes. I know what I'm having for dinner - Thanks for this reminder and wonderful entry. Take care,
Katie

Traci said...

Hear, hear! Amen, preach on, Sister!

Celeste said...

LOL I used to have non stick pans. I git rid of them completely over a year ago. All my pans are the heavy kind now.