Tuesday, May 22, 2012

The Look Good, Feel Better Class

Going to something like a Look Good, Feel Better class is WAY outside of my comfort zone.  I'll go to a Mary Kay party or something, but that is usually at the home of someone I know, or I at least know several of the attendees.  This was me, going to find out how to take care of bad skin, bad nails, and a bare head (cancer is FUN) with a room full of people I don't know.  I also wear very light makeup, and figured the esthetician would push heavier makeup than I usually wear.

I had asked, when I scheduled the class, if one or both of my girls could attend with me.  They experiment with makeup a lot, and lately I am half useless without a second set of ears.  I was told that guests couldn't come because of patient confidentiality.  I completely understand that, so I set out on my own.  DEFINITELY outside my comfort zone.   I knew NOBODY in that little room.  Oh, and each of the other four attendees in the room had someone with them to help/observe.  I was the only one alone.

The two hour class lasted only an hour, because the person that teaches wigs, scarves, hats, buffs, etc. wasn't there.  That is 90% of the reason I wanted to go.  *sigh*  They did teach how to draw on eyebrows, which I will need.  I plan to teach Monica today so I'll have help when the time comes.  All of the skin care products, makeup, etc is donated, so everyone's kit was slightly different, but I bet each contained at least $150 worth of product.

Any time any of us mentioned something that we wouldn't use, the lady told us to take it for someone we knew (my girls will always try new makeup) or we could swap with each other.  Heck, two or three of the other ladies gave me several of their things when they found out I had teen girls at home.  Everyone was really sweet.

Things I didn't like:
  • I could have taken someone, and was told I couldn't.  I would have been so much more comfortable with Monica or Natalie there.  I'm sure you aren't supposed to, and the others just didn't ask in advance, so they let them stay.
  • The head covering lady didn't show.
  • Some of the makeup is WAY dark or heavy for me.
Things I liked:
  • The American Cancer Society offers these classes for free (and all over the city.)
  • The products sent home are completely free, and are full-sized...not trial sizes.
  • They will let you take the class multiple times, but you can only get one kit.  That means, I can attend another one later for the part they skipped.
  • There were people there with far worse cancers than I have, or on their third recurrence, and it made me very thankful for where I am, physically.
  • The girls will LOVE all the cool makeup products that they are going to inherit from this.
  • I am always proud of myself when I do something that pushes my boundaries.
Obviously, the good far outweighs the bad.  It's an amazing program and I'd never say I'm sorry I went.  I will attend another class for the head-covering portion, I'm sure.  If you have someone in your life who finds out they are going to face chemo, make sure you tell them about this class.

2 comments:

Lindie said...

My girl friend who went through chemo twice only wore her wig occasionally. She preferred a bare head at home or a scarf when it was cooler. She looked beautiful either way!

TARYTERRE said...

I agree you should have been able to have somebody with you. But I'm glad it was a good experience, in spite of that. One of my friends loved wearing different wigs. She had one for each day of the week. But my other friend prefered the scarves and hats. I hope you get to see that portion of the program next time you go. It's really an individual choice based on your personality. You can be BOLD or not. I'm not sure what the future holds for my daughter, so I aprreciate the information to tell her what's available. take care.