Sunday, October 20, 2013

A Night With Friends

I've been teetering on the edge of bitterness lately.  I'm tired of lymphedema and I'm tired of infections and I'm tired of not being "whole" and having to wear garments to even things out and I'm tired of cancer continuing to pop up with family, workmates, and friends.  I struggle with wondering what I did to "deserve" cancer.

That is NOT a place that I want to be.  I don't want to be bitter.  I want to celebrate life and be thankful for the medical team that has been taking care of me.  I want to rejoice that my cancer is gone.  I want to happily look forward to my surgery in December without being impatient.  I want to be happy about the 5 year survival rate studies and stop researching 10, 15, and 20 year studies.

With Kevin and the girls heading out of town this weekend, I decided to organize a girl's night in.  I invited some coworkers over to drink wine and gossip.  The plans continued to develop as the time drew nearer and my friends offered suggestions.  It turned into something way more than I expected.

Five gals came, and we had a ball.  We turned off every light in the house and played hide-and-seek.  The "seeker" had an amazing automatic Nerf gun, and all of the "hiders" had smaller Nerf weapons.  If you found someone, you fired.  If you hit them, they were "it" for the next round.  If a hider shot the seeker first, they had 10 seconds to run toward "base" before the seeker could return fire.

We laughed SO hard.  It was an amazing time.  For an entire evening, I didn't feel sorry for myself or even THINK about health issues.  Not even once.  Thank you, girls.  It's just what I needed.

1 comment:

small farm girl said...

Now THAT sounds line a nice night. Lol!!!