Monday, September 2, 2013

Labor Day Weekend

Labor day weekend was fun for some of us, and meant two full days of Kevin lying under a car in the heat.  Monica had brake issues and nothing went as planned when it came to fixing it.  When you don't live near an auto parts store, you realize how seldom you get everything you need in one trip.  We drove to Buckner four times.  *sigh*

Today, I took Natalie, Monica, and Monica's friend Cori to the mall.  Cori fits in so well with our clan.  We laughed and listened to music too loudly and made inappropriate jokes.  I was able to finally get Natalie some things for her birthday.  It seems she always has to wait.  August is often a difficult month for us for various reasons.  Broken down cars, for instance.

My arm swelled last Thursday and Friday.  It swelled alarmingly fast and wouldn't go down.  I called my oncologist who told me to call my plastic surgeon who told me to call my breast surgeon.  I made call after call as the hours ticked away toward a long weekend.  I finally got a plan from a nurse at 3:00 on Friday.  Go home, stay in the air, and go see Dr. Shook on Tuesday afternoon.  If it swelled more, I was to go to the ER.

I measured often and it has stayed the same all weekend.  It is one inch larger than my right arm in all three places that I measure.  It could be from being in a sling for so long (which is what we hope,) it could be cellulitis (dangerous but controllable by antibiotics,) or it could be lymphedema (Lordy I hope it's not lymphedema.)  I certainly am tired of new complications.

Tomorrow, we launch into super busy days of busy season.  It's been increasingly busy for the past couple of weeks, so the time is here.   No more long weekends or vacations for a while.  Unless you call medical leave a vacation, because I should be having surgery sometime in mid-October.  Somehow, I don't think that counts.  :)

No comments: