Friday, March 25, 2011

It's Always Something

I stole the title from Mom.  Yup.  I'm not ashamed, either.

Last night, Kevin was at work and Monica had an away softball game, so Natalie and I decided to have the first driveway fire of 2011.  I had several boxes on the back porch and planned to use them to get the fire started.

I stepped out of the back door, holding the boxes, so I couldn't see where I was stepping.  I took two steps when my left foot went off the cement.  My ankle broke over and I heard a loud "pop," followed by me hitting the ground.  I couldn't get up.

After 5 minutes or so, I got up with Natalie's help, and stood there, wondering if it was broken.  I was eventually able to put weight on it, barely.  Since I could "walk," I figured it wasn't broken.  By the time Kevin got home, it was swollen and bruised and hurting worse.  I still didn't go to the ER, though, because I figured it wasn't broken and I don't go to the Dr.

It got worse as the night went on, and I couldn't sleep.  The weight of the blanket on my foot caused too much pain to get to sleep.  I figured I was pretty well screwed at that point.  I managed a few hours of sleep, and when I woke up, my first thought was, "Uh oh."

I couldn't even get out of bed to go to the bathroom!  Kevin got some too-big crutches from downstairs and I made it to the bathroom, and then we assessed the ankle.  Yup, it was time to get some X-rays.  We got the girls off to school and headed in.  Kevin wouldn't let me drive, although I think I could have done fine in the truck (my car is a manual transmission...clutch=pain.)

I was at the hospital for about 2 hours, all together.  She manipulated the heck out of it for X-rays and caused me to get horribly close to tears.  The final word was no breaks, just a bad sprain.  Fine, put on an air splint and send me on my way.

At work, I couldn't use crutches.  You can't carry things and use crutches at the same time, so I had to hobble and limp along.  At least I was only there 6 hours, but I could feel the splint getting tighter and tighter.  I propped it up on my trash can when I was at my desk, but I couldn't avoid walking completely.

Kevin and Monica picked me up at 5 and we stopped at Applebee's to redeem a gift card.  It kept hurting worse and worse.  After finally getting home, we propped it up in the recliner and took off my sock.  Uh oh.  Maybe I did too much today.  It's bruised all the way around and swollen.  Yup, I think I'll be doing a lot of sitting this weekend.


Donna said...

On the bright side, it's the weekend. As I said before... tis genetic.

Sonya said...

Ouch...that looks painful. Hope you get some rest. Get a bell and ring it when u need something. The fam can wait on you. LOL

Traci said...

i'm glad it isn't broken. I broke my ankle (3 bones in 5 places), but a sprain is no picnic either.

Cindi said...

I've had a sprain & broken ankle...the sprain is MORE painful!!! Take care enjoy some movies & popcorn this weekend!

Lindie said...

A sprain can sometimes take longer to heal than a broken ankle. My daughter had a bad sprain and she was in an actual cast for quite awhile. take it easy.

Anonymous said...

When my daughter was an infant, I was carrying her and stepped on the edge of a sidewalk, more off than on and twisted my ankle. It hurt like the dickens. No insurance, living on the edge financially, I kept my foot up when I could. 6 weeks later when I went to the Dr., they told me that a sprain takes much longer than a break to heal. An ankle support and several weeks later, it was better.